55 Plus and Active Adult Communities in Venice and Englewood

What can you expect in a 55 plus community


The community rules are pretty straightforward: To be considered a 55plus community, or "housing for older persons," the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older. According to federal law (HOPA), which governs all age-restricted communities in Florida, 80% of all occupied units must have at least one resident who fits into the age group mentioned above. 

There are always more Rules

Furthermore: the community needs to publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to provide housing for older persons. The community also needs to comply with the Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) rules. One of the most important rules is that an age verification process must be in place. The HOA (Homeowners Association) needs to prove that the rules are observed every two years. 

What about the 80/20 Rule?

Does this mean that much younger residents can occupy the other 20% of the units? HOPA is not clear about that. The 80% occupancy rate of 55+ residents is a fact, while the remaining 20%  are a grey area. Under 55 residents may occupy the remaining 20 % of the units without the community losing all the exemptions. 

55+ Communities can establish their own Set of Rules

However, the community can establish policies and restrictions on that 20% bracket. The community may require that 100% of the units be occupied by at least one 55 years of age or older. The community can go even one step further by requiring that all units are occupied by at least one person 60 years of age and older.

Why was the 80/20 Rule established in the First Place?

The Act permitting 20 percent of the units to be occupied by persons under 55 is intended to prevent a housing facility/community from losing the exemption when the older occupant dies, and the younger spouse inherits the place. 

Can your Kids live in a 55+ Community?

Yes, they can. The community can not discriminate against families with kids or discourage families from continuing to reside in a 55+ community. However, it does not make sense. There are other communities more suitable for kids, and they will thank you for the decision to move to an environment with younger people. 

Can your Kids at least visit you?

Of course, but read the covenants and by-laws carefully. The HOA can implement restrictions as well. Usually, your teenage grandkids can not party on their own in your unit. The time frame of a "visit" may be shorter than expected. Monthlong stays may not be accepted as a visit, and you may not be permitted to let your college kid stay in the unit while you are back in your summer residence up north. 

Summary

While living in a 55+ community, you deal with a unique set of rules. But those rules don't come as a surprise. Before buying a unit in a community for older persons, study all the rules and regulations carefully. If you can't agree with those rules, stay out and look for a non-55 community. If you decide to reside in one of those communities, you may have a wonderful time. No motorbikes are firing up early in the morning, no parties, and no loud music. What about that?

Maintenance Free and laid back 

55+ communities offer a maintenance-free lifestyle. All newer 55+ communities usually have many desirable amenities, like swimming pools, lap pools, state-of-the-art fitness centers, pickle ball, dancing halls, and a clubhouse with a full social calendar. You do not need to be a social animal, but if you are one already, or if you want to become one, a 55+ community is your best choice. 


Start your search below for your next home in a 55 + community in sunny Venice and SarasotaLearn more about 55 + communities reading our blog post.

Go back to Lifestyle Search
  • Tell us a little about your ideal home
  • What type of home are you looking for?
  • Please list them out
  • For example, $400,000 to $500,000
  • Where should we send your listings?